Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pantry Redo

When we first moved into our home, I was really excited to have a walk-in pantry. Our house had been a foreclosure and the pantry was proof just another area we needed to work on. It was missing a door and had old nasty contact paper lining every shelf. I wish I had a picture, but who has time to snap pics when you are trying your best to make a house liveable in a matter of days? We stripped the paper, cleaned the shelves, and began to fill it with stuff. A year later, we were still planning a door solution. The location of the pantry and the refrigerator (which is a built-in space surrounded by cabinets) didn't allow for a basic door. We looked at special ordering but never fell in love with anything. I have a beautifully generous and creative friend that said "someone gave me an old carriage door that you could have!" So, we began searching pinterest for ways to make this door work. It is 84 inches tall and quite large. I finally found a tutorial that suggested using electrical conduit and casters. WAY less expensive than buying a track. Before we hung the door, we needed to de-clutter the pantry, recover the shelves and put a system in place that make the massive shelves useful. Warning--- what you are about to see may disturb well organized people. Brace yourself. 

 This is the panoramic shot of how my pantry junk exploded throughout my kitchen. Because I didn't think to get a shot of how bad the pantry really was.

 This picture was after I had started the cleaning out, shelf covering, organizing process. The top shelf became a catch-all for party supplies and such. Don't judge me. I may or may not buy things for the kids' parties months in advance.


These pictures are before Andy, my sweet husband, had added drywall and finished the door way. He had to remove the old door frame so the new door could sit flush on the wall. 

Now for the door... 

We still have plans to take down the ugly florescent light and add a chandelier that would be seen through the glass. I think that would finish it off perfectly!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment